Image Source: Maria Fenlon Interiors
A hallmark of good interior design is the ability to create a visually interesting and stimulating space. Introducing art into a room can have a transformative quality on the atmosphere, making it feel bold and alive or tranquil and serene. Not only this, but art can serve as the inspiration or starting point for the design process itself.
- Provides a colour palette from which to draw – Deciding on a colour palette for a particular room can be a daunting task with a seemingly endless variety of shades and combinations to choose from. Having a piece of art chosen for a particular room can give you a basis to work with. You may decide on certain furnishings and accessories that highlight or complement your art piece which will ultimately create a sense of cohesion and continuity in your space.
- Creates a focal point – Rooms without a point of convergence or centrepiece tend to feel too spacious and uninteresting. While minimalism certainly has its appeal, a focal point is often favoured in order to avoid the feeling of a room being uninviting and cold. A piece of art, be that a wall-mounted painting or a sculpture, catches the eye and creates a natural gathering spot.
- Adds texture – Texture has the ability to create the feel of a cosier, lived in space. Textiles and crafts are the perfect artistic medium through which to bring texture into your home, be that through cushions, rugs or wallpaper. Paintings, sculpture and other forms of art can also add a layer and dimension to the space.
- Gives a sense of completion to a room – The addition of art certainly creates the impression of a more valuable and complete home. A beautifully designed house with strong architecture should be rounded off with suitable art that can tie otherwise disparate elements together.
- Adds Character – Art indubitably adds to the charm and intrigue of a home, making it feel unique to you. It has the power to evoke emotion and encourage dialogue in both those who encounter it daily and visitors alike. It is one of the best mediums through which to express your individuality and personal values in your home and is certainly something that can evolve with you through time.